MENTOR Memphis Grizzlies (MMG) celebrated National Mentoring Month by recognizing and honoring individuals, businesses, and groups that have exemplified a commitment to youth mentoring in 2018. Award recipients were honored during the National Mentoring Month Awards Breakfast.
What We Do
MENTOR Memphis Grizzlies (MMG) provides resources, leadership, and, in some cases, funding to more than 40 local mentoring programs in support of 1500 mentor relationships.
I. Program Development & Capacity Building
MENTOR Memphis Grizzlies (MMG) assists in bringing new mentoring programs to underserved communities. Our areas of support include:
- Mapping areas of high need, interest and capacity
- Engaging potential partners including schools, public and private organizations, and volunteer groups in support of new programs
- Training and technical assistance in support of quality mentoring
MMG also works collaborately with all member organizations to build resources, experience and expertise at the local level:
- Assist program members in the Implementation of a continuous improvement process (Quality-Based Membership)
- Provide training and consultation to program staff on how to manage, operate and evaluate a mentoring program
- Place full-time Americorps VISTA staffers in eligible programs
II. Stakeholder Engagement
We engage a wide variety of community stakeholders to help increase the number of mentor-mentee matches in the field. In our role, we assist in identifying the financial resources (in-kind or direct) to ensure that those relationships are of the highest quality.
III. Data Collection & Knowledge Management
The ultimate success of a program depends on the ability to appropriately assess effectiveness, address any weaknesses and demonstrate that it is meeting goals and objectives. To help establish consistent practices, metrics and evaluation tools across all local mentoring organizations, we are participating in a national pilot sponsored by MENTOR.
Our goal is to collect data on a regular basis, to analyze that data to better understand the impact of mentoring in individualized settings and in the broader community, and to identify gaps in the range of services needed.
IV. Public Awareness & Advocacy
MENTOR Memphis Grizzlies (MMG) has as an objective to expand public and private investment in mentoring by positioning mentoring as a key positive youth development strategy and through advocating for supportive mentoring policies. Expectations include:
- Participating in National Mentoring Month media campaign & regularly communicating with stakeholders through e-newsletters, social media, website and special events
- Prioritizing issues of concern for the mentoring field and developing a cohesive public policy agenda
- Coordinating visits to Capitol Hill during the National Mentoring Summit
- Mobilizing our network around federal and state advocacy efforts for mentoring