The TEAM UP Youth Mentoring Partnership Training prepares mentors with the needed tools and skills to mentor and work with youth served throughout our network organizations.
What is the Memphis Grizzlies Scholars Program?
The Memphis Grizzlies Scholars Program is a selective high school prep program for high-performing middle school students in Memphis, TN. The program mission is to increase the number of boys of color with access to academically rigorous, independent high schools as a pathway to success in college and their career.
In May 2016, the Program accepted ten 8th graders to participate in a one year immersive learning experience designed to accelerate student growth and achievement. As part of the curriculum, students will identify, apply, and ultimately enroll in a competitive high school suited to their strengths.
The program curriculum is divided into three distinct phases - academic enrichment, academic counseling and support, and leadership development. All successful candidates have the opportunity to take advantage of several extraordinary educational, cultural, and progressive activities with fellow Scholars:
- Guaranteed enrollment in the Bridge Builders Summer Leadership Conference
- Four (4) intensive Workshop Retreats designed to provide skill and leadership development
- Additional instructional time in core subject areas
- Experienced guidance, assistance and support through the high school application process
- A two-week summer experience at Deer Hill Expeditions focused on building identity and independence
Each scholar also received a qualified, trained Mentor who matriculates through the program alongside them. This program is made possible through a generous grant from Memphis Area Ford Dealers.